Georgia Conference, AAUP,
Fall Meeting Agenda
Date: Saturday, 10-15-2016
Time: 8:30am – 3:30pm
Location: Fort Valley State University, Pettigrew Center rm 110
“Open House” continental breakfast (Danish / coffee / OJ etc.) beginning at 8:30am in Pettigrew Center, room 110
Morning session (9:00am – approximately noon)
- 9:00am: Call to Order
- Welcome by FVSU: Paul Jones
- Introduction of our AAUP Conference Officers and Attendees
- 9:30am: Guest Speaker: Dr. Howard Bunsis of Western Michigan. Financial health of academia with a focus on Historically Black Institutions (HBI’s) and Georgia institutions.
- 10:30am: Guest Speaker: Dr. Micheal Crafton, Interim Executive Vice Chancellor for Academics. Status of the University System of Georgia
- 11:00am: Guest Speaker: Dr. Cecil Canton of California State University, Sacramento, Chair, National AAUP Committee on HBI’s. Status of HBI’s in Georgia and elsewhere
- What can we as an organization do, to better support our state and regional HBI’s?
- We plan to host a regional AAUP Presidents’ meeting in March, in Atlanta, with a focus on HBI’s. What issues should we prepare for? Whom should we invite? Where should we hold it?
- 12:00pm: Lunch (on campus)
- 1:00pm: Reconvene. Presentation of the Warren Akin IV Award “in recognition of special service to education and the principle of academic freedom….” This year’s awardee is Dr. George Kieh, Jr., of the University of West Georgia
- 1:15pm: Officers’ Reports
- 1:30pm: Chapters’ Reports
- 1:50pm: Committee Reports
- Legislative Liaison Report (Steve Anthony)
- 2:30pm: New Business / General Discussion
- Next Meeting: The next AAUP Georgia Conference meeting will be hosted by Wesleyan College, Macon, GA, with a focus on Private Universities and Colleges in Georgia. The date has not been scheduled yet; we anticipate a Saturday in March that is at least two weeks removed from the Regional Presidents’ Meeting in Atlanta discussed above (itself not yet scheduled).
- Kennesaw Presidential appointment
- New Business from the floor
- 3:30pm: (approximate) Adjourn